Monday 5 January 2009

Hello World!

Hi all ~ welcome to this weblog!

About this weblog

This weblog is used to publish ideas around developer experience and the Visual Studio IDE. Some of these ideas will be expressed in writing; other will be available as executable prototypes.

Whether the ideas presented on this weblog are useful is up to you! Feel free to leave comments or send me email.

About the blogger

I'm an independent software developer/ coach and architect based in The Netherlands.

  • In the role of software developer my main goal is to write "good software".
  • In the role of development coach my main goal is to transfer knowledge about how "good software" is made.
  • In the role of software architect my main goal is to define what "good software" means in a specific context.

In recent years, I've grown passionate about writing extensions to Visual Studio and every once in a while I find myself playing around with different ideas and concepts just for the fun of it.

A more effective development environment

Developers use a variety of different tools and methods to be more successful in their work. Some popular methods that make software developers write better software are:

  • Standardization and consistency in how software is written.
  • The adoption of a process that advocates pragmatism and good design.
  • Utilizing proven frameworks, components or template solutions.
  • Writing software in higher level programming (or modeling) languages.

There are plenty of solutions in any of the categories above. However - at the end of a day - adopting any of them is a game played in-between software developer and development environment. This is why this weblog is about encapsulating useful practices within the development environment.

Beyond this weblog

As I hinted before, "good software" means different things in different environments. The concepts on this weblog can only be about generic software development challenges. This inherently means that they can only be mildly useful within any specific environment or organization.

Whether you need help developing productivity tools specific to your environment or would like to assess what could be gained, contact me at VSPimp@gmail.com and either I or someone in my network would be able to help you.

No comments:

Post a Comment